Duckpin Bowling, anyone?

Monday, June 21, 2010

I can’t think of anything stranger than this place. Along Eastern Ave, a short walk from Fell’s is Patterson Bowling Center. No more than a two-story brick building with an undistinguished blue and red awning, it looks nothing like a bowling alley. Make that a BYOB bowling alley. It’s the kind of place that you probably only hear about by word-of-mouth.

Interestingly enough, duckpin bowling is believed to have originated in Baltimore (according to hookedonbowling.com and several other sites). Duckpin bowling differs from regular bowling in that the balls are much smaller and do not have finger holes. In addition, the pins are shorter and lighter, making it more difficult to strike them all down. Instead of of 2 balls per turn, you get 3 balls. Duckpin bowling is popular in the mid-Atlantic part of the country - I grew up in Charlotte, NC, which explains why I've probably never heard of it before now.

The best part about Patterson Bowling were the shoes - neon yellow and bright red velcro bowling shoes. Even better, they were comfortable, like slippers almost! My bowling companions and me made sure we all got the same color. We played 2 embarrassingly low scoring games, enjoying the Bud Light Limes we brought with us. The atmosphere of the place was laid back and a lot of fun as well. For something a little different, I definitely recommend Patterson Bowling. And for afterwards, the bars at Fell's are just a short walk away.

I gotta say though, I was quite sad to return my stylish bowling shoes at the end of the game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP