Champagne mangoes

Wednesday, June 16, 2010


I bought a Champagne mango the other day from Whole Foods, thinking it was just a baby mango. However, upon closer inspection, I discovered that it was something completely different – the Ataulfo, or Champagne mango, is a pint-sized version of the Mexican treat (thanks to http://www.champagnemango.com/ for explaining this to me). Its shape is oval, with a slight upwards curve. While most mangoes I’ve seen have a mostly yellow skin with splashes of green and red, the Champagne mango is a deep golden yellow all over. I had no idea these existed!

Because of its smaller size, I found the Champagne mango a bit more difficult to cut and dice. Treating the mango like its larger counterpart, I sliced around its core and cut each piece into small sections. One of these mangoes doesn't go very far, so I'd recommend buying at least two or three. Upon taking my first bite, I was surprised by its rich, bright flavors. Just like a conventional mango, but its flavor concentrated into a burst of intense juicy sweetness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP