Unleash your inner francophile

Monday, July 5, 2010

My mother, my father and myself included are a family of Francophiles. We love anything French, whether it's food, art or wine. And ever since I spent my semester abroad in Paris last year, I've been spoiled in the most French way possible. I am especially picky when it comes to French food in the US - my standards are perhaps a little too high, but what can I say? Here's one place that passes the test - Petit Louis in Roland Park is a French-inspired bistro that doesn't disappoint.

The food is very French indeed - the menu options reminded me of typical items I saw in Paris, such as Salade Nicoise (with grilled tuna), Steak Frites (steak with "pommes frites," refer to my earlier blog post: http://elizabethlaseter.blogspot.com/2010/06/french-inspired-lunch.html), Croque Monsieur (a grilled ham and gruyere cheese sandwich essentially) and more. Reading the menu is a lesson in French cuisine - thankfully, English descriptions accompany the french names of the dishes.

I decided on the Confit de Canard, a leg of duck cooked in salt and its own fat. Perhaps that sounds a little unappetizing but if you have ever tried anything cooked in duck fat, you will understand the savory, rich and buttery flavor that results. The duck confit comes with a mushroom reduction sauce and spaetzle, or crispy thick pasta noodles, that soaks up the sauce and duck flavor perfectly. Duck is likely one of my favorite meats to order at restaurants, and Petit Louis' dish was outstanding.

My mother loved her steak frites, especially the accompanying pommes frites. We all loved the dijon mustard on the table, dipping the whole wheat sourdough loaf or frites into it. I usually hate mustard, and I loved this stuff.

With our meal, we enjoyed a bottle of French red wine from the Languedoc region. It was one of less expensive bottles on the menu, being $44 if you can believe it. My parents liked it, but I found the flavor a bit diluted and weak. I recommend buying the wine by the glass, and choosing a nice Bordeaux or Cotes de Rhone. Savor it slowly!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP