Classy in College? No way...

Monday, July 5, 2010

13.5% Wine Bar in Hampden makes for a sophisticated, classy evening (which is often hard to come by in college at least). I went with my roommate and a few girls from my sorority last night. Located on the upper end of W. 36th Street along the “Avenue,” the wine bar’s modern, low-lit interior set the mood for the evening. Developing an affinity for wine while abroad in France last semester, I insisted on ordering the wine. The menu features wines by the glass and bottle, organized by price and type. Wine can also be ordered in flights, which allows you to sample three (3 oz. each) different wines of a similar breed (such as French wines). We decided on 2 bottles to start, a white and a red. I ordered the red for the table, impressing the waiter with questions like, “describe the aroma of this wine,” “does it have a strong aftertaste?” “which one is the most fruity?” He gave me a funny look, and recommended an Italian wine over the French wine I had picked out. I decided to go with his advice, and I’m glad I did.

The red, a Codici Montepulcianao from Italy (means nothing to me) was light and refreshing, with an aftertaste of fruitiness, very nice for the summer. It’s not horribly expensive either - $22. We ordered a Pinot Grigio for our white, but honestly I was so focused on the red, I didn’t have a chance to have more than half a glass of this one. Everyone who drank it seemed to enjoy it, though.

We also ordered a plate of 5 different cheeses, wine’s essential companion. Our waiter brought us selections such as goat cheese, cheddar, brie and others (I can’t remember their names), as well as a plate of toast to eat them on. If you’re going to order wine, you have to order cheese – the cheese was outstanding, all of it. Paired with the wine, it was divine.

13.5% was my first wine bar experience in Baltimore, and I loved it. All of the wines on the menu are available for purchase, minus the $8 corkage fee too. I couldn’t leave without buying a bottle of the red, either.

1 comments:

J July 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

YES 13.5% <3

this blog is great eliz!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP