Grilled Cheese and Co. is sheer brilliance

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

When I first read about this place I nearly jumped out of my pants. My affinity for the grilled cheese sandwich is endless. I grew up living off of my mom's grilled cheeses, literally. I'm pretty sure most everyone did as well, which is why this place is so incredibly brilliant. To evoke fond memories of home while enjoying a cheesy and savory treat is pure marketing brilliance.

If you can avoid getting lost in sketchy areas of Baltimore, Grilled Cheese and Co. in Catonsville is more than worth a visit. The interior of the restaurant is warm and inviting, but also pretty loud especially during peak lunchtime hours. The menu is pretty straightforward - various types of gourmet grilled cheeses. Immediately the "Crabby Melt" caught my eye, which piles Monterey Jack cheese on top of more cheese and blue crab. My roommate ordered this one and loved it. I was concerned about the sandwich being too rich, but the crab and cheese blend was not overpowering in the least. The subtle flavor of the creamy crab in between 2 thick slices of toasty golden bread was outstanding.
I went for the "Cordon Bleu," Swiss cheese, smoked ham and grilled chicken with Dijon mustard, a classic French treat. The combination of chicken and ham on the sandwich was an unlikely one, but it worked quite well. The swiss cheese was a winner as well, however I was disappointed that I couldn't taste the Dijon better. Perhaps it was too many flavors, the Dijon was neglected a bit. Overall, this sandwich is kickass.

Add regular or sweet potato fries to your meal plus a drink for only $2 more, not a bad deal! The portion of fries was more than I could eat in one sitting, but they were crispy and flavorful, definitely freshly made.

And to finish off the meal, my roommate ordered the "Sweetest Thing" (pictured below), Brie cheese, raspberry flavored Marscapone and chocolate chips smooshed between two slices of bread. The entire thing is an oeey, drippy mess, and is truly one of a kind. How creative to include a dessert grilled cheese...it reminded me of chocolate chip pancakes, interestingly enough.

Grilled Cheese and Co. calls their product "one of life's great pleasures" on their website. I have to agree, I honestly can't wait to go back. If you go, don't rely on your GPS to get you there though...mine sure crapped out on me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP