My Favorite Finds of the Summer

Friday, July 23, 2010

While I am in no way an expert on food, I think I have some sense for what's good around here! I've spent the entire summer trying places around Baltimore, and I think I've found some good ones. Here is a recap of my finds!

Cool Treats:
-Dominion's Spinach Ice Cream
I love this flavor because of its remarkably smooth, subtly sweet taste. It is one of the most refreshing flavors of ice cream I have tried this summer, not to mention, its apparent health benefits! Dominion is known for its "Eat Your Vegetables" ice cream, and they truly have a unique operation in the Blackstone Apartments (Charles Village) lobby. I'm going to be moving into this building next year and I know where all my money will be going.

-Pitango's Mojito sorbet
The first time I tried this flavor, I was blown away by the fresh blast of lime against the gelato's lightly sugared base. The taste is vivid and as refreshing and the gelato itself is even lighter and sharper in flavor than Dominion's spinach ice cream. Mix it with the mango sorbet for an even more colorful combination of flavors.

Cheap Places:
-Grano Pasta Bar
This tiny Hampden cornerside cafe is better than any of the Italian restaurants I've tried in Little Italy. Their pasta is fresh, their sauces are to die for, and the italian bread is outstanding. Grano makes for a cheap dinner too, with most of the pasta dishes $10 or less. I've tried the bolognese sauce and the carbonara, both of which I loved. The portions are enough to stuff you plenty, too.

-Grilled Cheese and Co.
While a bit off the beaten path, this place is unique in its creative variations on an old favorite. Every sandwich here is good, I don't think you could be disappointed with the combination of melted cheese and bread. The Cordon Bleu grilled cheese is very good, combining chicken, ham, swiss cheese and dijon mustard (the cordon bleu is a traditional French roll-up sandwich). This is the only place where I've seen grilled cheese for dessert too. If you have enough room, at least try "The Sweetest Thing," Brie cheese, raspberry flavored marscapone and chocolate chips in between two pieces of toasty bread.

-Stuggy's and Kooper's Tavern in Fells
These two places are great lunch spots - Kooper's Tavern has more of a restaurant atmosphere, whereas Stuggy's is more or a order and take outside to eat kind of place. I ordered the pulled pork BBQ sandwich with sweet potato fries at Kooper's and was quite impressed. The BBQ claims to combine the flavors of pulled pork from North Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi, whatever this means the synthesis is successfully sweet and tangy. Kooper's also has an impressive beer selection, which I'm sure would pair perfectly with one of their popular burgers. Stuggy's, on the other hand, sells beefy hot dogs loaded with cheese, even more beef, cole slaw, mushrooms, pretty much whatever you're in the mood for. On a nice day, the benches outside Stuggy's make for a picturesque lunch spot.

Dinner
-Tapas Teatro
I love this place on a nice night - it's great to sit outside and enjoy a pitcher of sangria and several tapas plates. I've also been to the more expensive tapas restaurant in Baltimore, Pazo, but I've found that Teatro's selections are more reasonably priced and a better value. I'm a fan of the fried manchego cheese, and especially the Albondigas, or lamb meatballs. I'd love to try to paella someday as well, I'm sure it's delicious. Even better, if you have room for dessert, Sofi's Crepes is a few doors down, or if you want to catch a movie, the charles theater literally connects to the restaurant.

-XS Sushi
It's quite a scene here, with its four levels in this loft-style restaurant. Lowly lit with DJ style music pumping at night, this is a great place for sushi, or just drinks as well. The sushi is good, but the atmosphere is reason most to go - it's young and charged with energy, making it ideal for a dinner spot before a night out.

-Petit Louis Bistro
I love this restaurant because I love all things French. I've found the simple French fare that I loved when I was abroad in Paris here, such as Duck Confit, Streak Frites and Poulet Fermier (chicken). I love the frites, especially after dipping them in the dijon mustard on every table. The extensive wine menu is a bit steeply priced, so order wine by the glass instead. Petit Louis is delightfully simple, yet full of savory, satisfying flavors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP